The activities of professionals in the forestry sector include the handling of cutting tools such as chainsaws whose precise use of the use of a breastplate or protective pants in order to prevent possible accidents and injuries. To guarantee the adaptation of the pants to the worker, this must adapt and allow the normal development of activities, without limiting movements or specifying additional efforts. Working with motor machines requires great concentration. It is good to be able to rely on effective personal protection. Pants to prevent chainsaw injury are protective clothing and accessories not only comply with regulations but in many cases exceed it, while offering great comfort. Use our wide range of safety clothing and accessories. You must opt for pants to prevent chainsaw injury.
A distribution of adequate sizes and a successful pattern allow the worker to choose the garment that best fits without problems of limitation of movement or high pressures. These aspects are fundamental in the work clothes for their high demands and because in the case of trousers or overalls anti-cut protection, the garment incorporates protection elements that make the clothes may be a prior more uncomfortable.
- It is advisable to have several lengths for each size, in order to cover the variability in height existing in population.
- The design of the pants or breastplate should consider the differences in the shape and existing body proportions between men and women and have different sizes for each population group.
- Depending on the manufacturer, the sizing systems may vary in the number of sizes. There are systems that designate the size using letters (for example, M for medium size) and systems that use numbers (size 40, size 42 …). The common is that the size assignment is given by the waist contour and height. He
The manufacturer must clearly explain the procedure for taking measurements and assignment of pant sizes. The greater the number of sizes available, the assignment will be more likely and the pants will provide a good adjustment.
- The trousers must have systems that allow adjustment of the waist, the ankle, and the leg. This supposes two advantages, on the one hand, to adapt the garment to the different morphologies of the workers and on the other hand facilitate mobility.
- It is convenient that the waist incorporates an elastic band, which will make more comfortable pants if it also includes enough loops, the adjustment will still be more appropriate.
Stay safe whilst wearing pants to prevent chainsaw injury
- Wear appropriate protective clothing and goggles.
- Choose the appropriate chainsaw size that corresponds to the job you are going to do.
- Operate, adjust and maintain the chainsaw according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Take special care when cutting trees or branches that are stressed by being bent, twisted, or by leaning on something or trapped under another object during high winds.
- Make sure that people who are near you are at a safe distance from the place where you perform the cutting activities.
- Before cutting, check around the tree or branch under tension to see if there are hazards such as nails, power lines or cables.
- Keep in mind that there is a risk of injury from chainsaws when removing trees
- Safety measures to prevent injuries when using a chainsaw
- Operate and adjust the saw and maintain it according to the manufacturer’s instructions included in the chainsaw manual.
Correctly sharpen the chain cutting links and properly lubricate the blade with chain and bar oil. Also, check and adjust the blade periodically to maintain the correct tension in the chain so that it does not come off the blade and to ensure an effective cutting action. Choose the right size of the chainsaw that corresponds to the job you are going to do and includes safety devices such as chain brake, rear, and front hand guards, stop button, chain clamp and spark arrestor. Wear appropriate protective equipment such as a helmet, safety goggles, ear protectors, heavy duty gloves, long cut-resistant trousers (chainsaw chaps) that cover from the waist to the top of the foot, and boots that cover the ankle.
Check around the area where you are cutting in case there are dangers such as nails or wires, both inside the wood and among the debris scattered near the tree or branch. Avoid contact with power lines until it is found that they have no power. Always keep the chainsaw at waist height or below it when making cuts to control it safely. Clear the area of branches and cut wood as you work to use the chainsaw more safely and to have an escape route in the event of a sudden movement of trees and branches that you did not anticipate. People who are nearby or co-workers must remain at least two times the height of the tree (at least 150 feet) of anyone who is tearing down a tree and at least 30 feet away from anyone who is operating. a chainsaw to remove branches or a fallen tree.
If an injury occurs, apply pressure directly on sites with heavy bleeding: this can save lives. Beware of injuries that branches or bent trees may cause when they are released Take special care when cutting trees or branches that are stressed by being bent, twisted, or by leaning on something or trapped under another object during high winds. If the tree or branch suddenly comes loose, it can hit the person who is cutting it or people nearby with enough force to cause serious injury or death. Even a tree or branch of seemingly small dimensions (2 inches in diameter, for example) can create a risk when released from stress.
To avoid injuries
Identify the maximum point of tension in the tensioned bent branch. Trim the bottom part of the tree little by little instead of cutting it completely to allow the tree or branch to release tension little by little.
How can the public help?
The best thing is that it is a chainsaw operator with training and experience in the safe use of chainsaws and cutting techniques that tear down and remove the branches of trees. Make sure that people around you are at a safe distance from cutting activities, that the chainsaw operator uses personal protective equipment and that workers follow safeguards.